Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris


Rating 5 Stars!!!!!


Dead Until Dark is the first book in the very popular Southern Vampire Series (AKA Sookie Stackhouse Series) by Charlaine Harris. I had no intentions of reading this series, I don't usually like books told in the first person POV. When we received a copy of the book at the bookstore I decided to give it a try, because I was looking for something different from what I usually read and I just started watching True Blood which is based on this book.


The story is told completely from Sookie's POV. Sookie is a telepathic waitress in a small town in Northern Louisiana. She has been waiting to meet a vampire since vampires came out of the coffin 2 years ago. One night when she is working her wish comes true and she meets her first vampire. Bill Compton has come back to Bon Temps to renovate his family's home and become a mainstream vampire. Those are vampires that live among humans and survive on synthetic blood developed by the Japanese.
This is more of a mystery than a romance. There is a lot of romance elements in this book. The story really centers around Sookie trying to catch a killer before the killer finds her.



I loved everything about this book. I loved Sookie she is a great character. I am in love with vampire Bill. I know a lot of fans of this series are not fans of Bill. There is just something about him that I love. It could be that I love Stephen Moyer who plays Bill in the TV series True Blood. As I continue to read the series I may change my mind. This book also has secondary characters that are well written. You feel like you get to know all of these people through Sookie.


This is the type of book that once you start reading it you will not be able to put it down. It also stays with and you can't wait to start the next one. I'm actually excited that I discovered this series so late. I can read all nine without having to wait. Ms. Harris only writes one Sookie Stackhouse book a year.

If you like vampire books you definitely need to check out this series:

1 Dead Until Dark
2. Living Dead in Dallas
3. Club Dead
4. Dead to the World
5. Dead as a Doornail
6. Definitely Dead
7. All Together Dead
8. From Dead to Worse
9. Dead and Gone
There are also several short stories that take place in "Sookie's World". They are being released in one volume called A Touch of Dead in October.













2 comments:

Mandi said...

I will be interested to see how you feel about Bill as the series goes on. It is funny how some are so team Bill, and some team Eric (me!)

I've only read the first four..need to get on them!! :)

Love True Blood too:)

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Randi!

I'm team Eric only because I've read the entire series to date....Eric does some pretty hot things later in the series.....He really comes to like and understand Sookie.

Dottie :)