Monday, March 16, 2009

What I Did For Love by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

I have really fallen behind with reviews!! So now I'm trying to catch up!!


Book Description: How did this happen? Georgie York, once the costar of America's favorite television sitcom, has been publicly abandoned by her famous husband, her film career has tanked, her father is driving her crazy, and her public image as a spunky heroine is taking a serious beating. What should a down-on-her-luck actress do? Not go to Vegas . . . not run into her detestable former costar, dreamboat-from-hell Bramwell Shepard . . . and not get caught up in an ugly incident that leads to a calamitous elopement. Before she knows it, Georgie has a fake marriage, a fake husband, and maybe (or not) a fake sex life. It's a paparazzi free-for-all, and Georgie's nonsupporting cast doesn't help. There's Bram's punk-nightmare housekeeper, Georgie's own pushy parent, a suck-up agent, an icy studio head with a private agenda, and her ex-husband's new wife, who can't get enough of doing good deeds and saving the world - the bitch. As for Georgie's leading man, Bram's giving the performance of his life, but he's never cared about anyone except himself, and it's not exactly clear why. Two enemies find themselves working without a script in a town where the spotlight shines bright . . . and where the strongest emotions can wear startling disguises.
My Review: My Review: I'm a huge fan of SEP's books. I loved the love/hate relationship between Bram and Georgie. I also like the Jennifer Aniston/Brad/Angelina parallel without it being over the top. I thought what Bram did at the end were a little over the top and Georgie didn’t make him suffer nearly enough. As usual she has a great cast of secondary characters. You got to see a small glimpse of April (Natural Born Charmer) and also some characters from Glitter Baby (which I haven’t read yet). I'm also a sucker for epilogue and this one had a great one.
This Heart of Mine is still my favorite by this author and would still recommend it over this one, but this is up there are one of my favs.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I really loved the love/hate relationship between Georgie and Bram, too. SEP really excels at those, IMO.

Good review!